My husband AJ had by no means had shoofly pie earlier than, which is sensible, as he was born and raised within the Midwest earlier than transferring to California. Shoofly pie is usually a Pennsylvania Dutch dessert, one that’s much less frequent outdoors of Central Pennsylvania and the encompassing space.
However after I requested if he needed a chew of my slice, he proceeded to eat the complete piece, which was not a part of my preliminary providing! Fortunately, I had extra pie left. I took a sip of espresso, reduce myself one other slice, and made certain to not provide him anymore bites off of my plate.
WHAT IS SHOOFLY PIE?
This uniquely-named pie is usually lumped along with different “desperation pies” like chess pie, vinegar pie and sugar pies. You’ll find references to it all around the internet with the spelling as Shoofly, Shoo Fly or Shoo-fly pie.
No matter the way you spell it, the pie components are just about the identical. Shoofly pie is made with easy pantry staples, the type you at all times have round the home, which suggests you possibly can have dessert virtually any time.
Not like most “desperation pies” related to the South, in accordance with Anne Byrn, creator of the e-book American Cake, Shoofly pie is a part of the Pennsylvania Dutch custom that dates again to 1876. Shoofly pie was truly a Centennial cake, made in celebration of the 100-year anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The cake later morphed right into a pie, with a crust, which allowed it to be eaten with out a plate or fork and with a robust cup of espresso for breakfast.
WHAT DOES SHOOFLY PIE TASTE LIKE?
The dominant taste of shoofly pie is molasses. It’s a robust taste however is tempered with the buttery spiced, flour topping on the pie.
It’s no surprise the pie is usually served with a robust cup of espresso, because the darkish bitter scorching beverage elevates the sweetness of the molasses whereas slicing the richness of the pie.
WET BOTTOM VS DRY BOTTOM PIE
Shoofly pie is available in two completely different variations: moist backside or dry backside. Moist backside pie has the filling within the pie baked till it’s simply set, with an oozy custard texture.
For my recipe, I opted for the moist backside model. The dry backside pie is baked longer with extra flour and, sometimes, an egg added to the filling, resulting in a drier, cake-like heart.
WHAT IS THE BEST MOLASSES FOR THIS PIE?
Molasses is available in completely different flavors and varieties and it will probably get complicated, particularly when some manufacturers have completely different labeling classes.
I like to recommend choosing mild molasses which has the mildest taste. Should you actually like the flavour of molasses you possibly can go for common/medium flavored molasses or darkish/sturdy molasses each of that are extra assertive in taste.
Nevertheless, keep away from blackstrap molasses. It’s extraordinarily darkish and has a bitter burnt taste which will be overwhelming on this pie.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING A SUCCESSFUL SHOOFLY PIE
- Make the pie crust prematurely: I like to recommend making the pie crust forward of time and letting it chill within the fridge for an hour or longer. You probably have the forethought, make the pie crust the evening earlier than and let it chill in a single day. The gluten within the crust will loosen up and the water will absolutely hydrate the flour, making the crust simpler to roll out.
- Chill the crust after you roll it out: When you’ve rolled out the crust, place it again within the fridge for 30 minutes. This does two issues. It relaxes the gluten, so the dough received’t shrink or stoop when baked and it chills the butter, which can result in a flakier crust.
- For crispier crust, blind bake or pre-bake the crust. There are directions for the way to do this on the backside of our good pie crust recipe.
- Combine a bit little bit of the crumb into the filling: This provides the filling a bit little bit of physique and kind so it’s not so liquidy. Should you desire a firmer filling, double the crumb topping and blend half of it into the filling, reserving the opposite half for the highest of the pie.
- Chill the pie earlier than slicing: Heat pie will imply the filling will likely be a bit oozy. If you’d like a pleasant even reduce, strive chilling the pie within the fridge for 30 minutes. A cooler pie will agency up the molasses and lead to cleaner slices.
CAN YOU MAKE SHOOFLY PIE AHEAD OF TIME?
You may make this pie forward of time however take into accout the crumb topping received’t be as recent. Shoofly pie, as a result of it’s largely product of molasses, retains pretty effectively.
Retailer it at room temperature for three days or within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Simply preserve it lined with plastic wrap on beneath a cake dome to maintain the flies away!
CAN YOU FREEZE SHOOFLY PIE?
Sure! Shoofly pie freezes effectively. Simply take into accout, once more the crumb topping will thaw out and be much less crisp.
As soon as the pie has been baked and cooled fully, cowl it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and slip the entire pie into a big heavy-duty resealable freezer bag.
You may freeze the pie entire as said above or reduce the pie into particular person slices and freeze them in a container, permitting you to thaw out one slice at a time on the countertop.